Simple, quick, and easy! And delicious!! Whipping up a lemon cake is something anyone can do, even without much baking skills. You can make all sorts of variations on it as well. For example, you can make into a chocolate cake or a coconut cake. Feel free to experiment with this recipe and post your results below!
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
6 oz. Butter
Zest from one Lemon (Approx. 2 tbsp)
Juice from one large lemon (¼ – ½ cup)
½ cup Sour Cream
½ cup Milk
1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Ginger
1 tbsp Bread Crumbs or Pank
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rub some softened butter to cover a bundt pan in a thin layer of butter and sprinkle the panko or bread crumbs on top. Spin it around until even distributed and the whole pan is covered. Turn it over quickly to release any extra crumbs.
3. Mix the sugar, butter and eggs with the lemon zest, until light and fluffy.
4. Add lemon juice, vanilla, milk, sour cream, poppy seeds, and ginger and mix it in well.
5. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl before adding it gradually to the mix while stirring it on a low setting. Once it is all mixed together, pour it into the bundt pan and place in the oven for about 50 minutes until a test skewer comes out dry.
In this version I held back on adding the lemon juice and zest. Once everything else was mixed, I split the batter into two batches and put the lemon flavors in one, while adding a cup of blueberries to the other along with a tablespoon of red wine. I then poured the lemon flavored batter first and then the blueberry batter on top. I added an extra tablespoon of flour to the blueberry mix as well as the blueberries appeared to provide a little more liquid than the lemons did.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.